We offer a range of sessions for groups of children with tailored support to help each child develop their mobility, motor, sensory, communication, emotional and self-help skills.
Who are these sessions for?
Our group sessions are suitable for children who have movement disorders due to conditions such as:
- cerebral palsy
- global developmental delay
- acquired brain injury
- Down’s Syndrome (if the child has delayed development or difficulties with movement).
If your child hasn’t come to our sessions before, we invite you and your child to come to an assessment first.
How can group sessions help my child?
Through our group sessions children improve their mobility and problem-solving skills to tackle everyday tasks. Just as importantly, they improve their communication skills to express their feelings and needs. Being part of a group helps them to build friendships and gain social interaction skills like taking turns and sharing toys – while having fun and building their self-esteem.
What happens in group sessions?
Our qualified Conductors lead the sessions.
What happens varies according to the age and abilities of the group and your child’s individual needs but a session may include some or all of the following elements:
- motor programmes – learning how to move from lying, sitting, standing and walking positions
- developing communication skills through, for example, sensory stories
- learning through structured play / fun activities
- learning though taking part in meaningful everyday activities
- sensory input – to help with touch and sight
- developing self-care skills.
Should parents attend?
We do encourage parents of children over 3 to take an active part in the sessions working alongside their child. In this way, you can learn simple techniques to support your child in daily family life. Many parents also find the group setting a good way to meet other parents to share experiences and ideas.
When are group sessions held?
We run the sessions Monday – Saturday during term time.
How long are the sessions?
The sessions last 2-3 hours, depending on the ages and abilities of the children.
How much do group sessions cost?
Group sessions are free for under 3s and there is a fee for children aged 3 and above. We can advise you on applying for grants to cover the cost of our sessional services. For our current costs, please get in touch with us or call us on 020 8444 7242.
We can offer one-to-one sessions:
- for a trial period to see whether our services are the best option for your child
- if we currently do not have availability in a group session to meet their needs.
We are very grateful to BBC Children in Need for their grant supporting our group sessions.